10 Cool Things to Do While Sheltering in Place
Cool ideas running low right now? I hear ya.
On behalf of Ben and Jason, we hope you’re healthy and practicing safe daily habits. If you’re not feeling well, click here for detailed info from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) about what to do if you (or someone in your home) are sick.
Assuming you’re physically healthy, I bet you’re getting bored of this whole shelter in place thing, huh? Me too, me too. This whole thing sucks. It SUCKS!
Breathe, man. Breathe.
OK. That’s better. No point sugar coating it, this does suck. I miss my friends and family. I miss being able to go into the studio and say hi to the guys face to face. There’s really no point focusing on the bad, however. I believe that if we embrace this isolation, maybe it doesn’t have to be intolerable. We can get through this. For a few quick ideas on how to pass the time, here are…
10 Cool Things to Do While Sheltering in Place:
- Read this and do some of them: “List: 100 things to do while stuck at home social distancing”
- If you find yourself full of anxiety and you can’t get that static out of your head, you’re in luck. We have a blog on mindfulness–along with some other interesting content in the Threads Blog archive! If you don’t know how to…do…mindfulness (or even what the heck it is), give it a shot. It’s quick, easy, and you don’t need to buy anything!
- The next thing I’d recommend: be social while social distancing. If you–or your parents–have a Netflix account, you can watch movies remotely with friends using Netflix Party. NPR has this article: A List Of Live Virtual Concerts To Watch During The Coronavirus Shutdown. There are TONS of stuff like that–just Google “live stream concerts” and pick a site you like.
- Or there’s a good old fashioned phone call. Talk to friends and loved ones on the phone, computer, or whatever you use to talk to friends and family.
- Get online and, besides just going through your news feed and social media, look for other online communities. Join a FaceBook group and learn how to make jewelry, or whatever floats your boat. Never gonna be a better time than right now to learn how to do the things you’ve always wanted, but never had the time.
- Exercise. YouTube an exercise video. It can be strength, cardio, whatever. My wife especially likes Yoga with Adriene.
- Stop watching the news all the damn time. Get your coronavirus updates from the CDC, not politicians and talking heads. (I’m talking to you, dad.)
- Create a new schedule for yourself (and, if you have one, your family). I was losing my mind before I set a new schedule for me and my kids. It’s still a work in progress, but we’re a little more stable with something.
- Get counseling online with BetterHelp.com. It’s affordable, and you can do it anytime, anywhere.
- Read this article about how astronauts handle isolation, then watch this video that an astronaut made while in isolation:
Stay home, stay safe. Good luck!
Christopher Tallon is a writer, podcaster, and sushi lover. You can find him on FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter or his Website.